Recently, the national standard GB/T 28004.1-2021 “Diapers Part 1: Baby Diapers” advocated by the China National Light Industry Federation will be officially implemented on May 1, 2022.
This standard and GB/T 28004.2-2021 “Diapers – Part 2: Adult Diapers” will officially replace the old one, GB/T 28004-2011 “Diapers (Pieces, Pads).”
The diaper standard is divided into two because baby diapers and adult diapers are pretty different in raw materials, product performance, safety requirements, and many other aspects. In particular, there are apparent differences in the criteria of safety technical indicators. In addition, similar to South Korea, Taiwan, and other regions, the standards for baby diapers and adult diapers are also stipulated separately. Therefore, the release of GB/T 28004-2021 is more scientific and normative.
The new standard is based on the particularity of diaper’s functional objects and the manufacturers’ production technology feasibility, product quality and safety, consumer health, and other aspects of the comprehensive demonstration and research results.
In the new standard, several aspects are specified for baby diapers, nappies, and diaper pads (nursing pads):
- The product classification
- Technical requirements
- Test methods
- Inspection rules
- Regulations of signing, packaging, transporting, storing
In addition, the new standard applies to multiple circumstances:
- Disposable baby diapers, nappies, diaper pads (nursing pads) made of outer covering materials, build-in absorbent layers, and leak-proof bottom films for normal usage
- Diapers for baby swimming, low birth weight infants care, and diapers for special functions (e.g., toilet training).
The new standard adds a few requirements for raw materials.
To be specific,
- Fluff pulp should meet the requirements of GB/T 21331
- SAP should meet the necessities of GB/T 22875
- The dust-free paper should meet the essentials of GB/T 24292
- The absorbent backing paper should meet the demands of QB/T 4508
- The control of chemicals and raw materials should comply with the relevant ordinances of BG/T 36420
After increasing the requirements for raw materials, there is a more outstanding guarantee for the product safety of diapers.
In addition, a significant upgrade has also been carried out in terms of technical requirements.
In the old standard, the technical indicators only have four items:
- pH value
- Delivery moisture
In addition to adjusting the above four items, the new standard added three technical indicators of performance:
- Attachments of the surface layer
- Side leakage prevention
On top of that, the new standard also adds safety indicators. It sets relevant requirements for six substances:
- Heavy metal content
- Migratory fluorescent substances
- Acrylamide content
- Formaldehyde content
- Phthalate content
- Decomposable carcinogenic aromatic amine dyes
The new standard represents the further regulation of the diaper industry. Accordingly, it improves the applicability of the criteria, plays an essential role in improving the quality of baby diapers in China, and protecs the health and safety of infants and young children.